Friday, 25 March 2016

Tongariro Crossing

Yesterday we went further north to Turangi.
The weather was really bad, lots of rain and wind. Not the best conditions , as the plan for today was to do the Tongariro Crossing.

We got up at 5 am in the morning, quite a job during the holiday, and drove to Ketetahi Car Park, where we left our car and jumped into a bus. The bus took us to the starting point, Mongatepopo. At 7am we started our hike.

I had done this track 8 years ago, but I forgot that it was quite exhausting. And this time we were very lucky with the weather, good view until but the very end.
So I was able to see Mount Ngauruhoe ( Mount Doom in The Lord of the Rings),

the red crater

and the Emerald Lakes.

After 6 1/2 hours and 19,4 km we reached our car.
For dinner I made my famous Chili con Carne alla Joeman. But I am so tired that I don't know how to keep awake until tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment